The oldest accounts of vine growing in Savoie date back to the 1st century BC by authors such as Columelle and Pline. During the Middle Ages, religious people contributed considerably to the development of Savoyard viticulture. The monks carried out various experiments in viticulture and vinification, improving the quality of the wines. The history of Savoie wines then underwent many changes. Between the Middle Ages and the Revolution, the wine-growing areas of the region were extended thanks to the abolition of serfdom. Between the 16th and 18th centuries, vines were cultivated on plains, but also on slopes of more than 1,000 metres in altitude. In order to maintain the quality of the wines and to limit this progression, Duke Emmanuel Philibert instituted the grape harvest ban, via an edict in 1559. This measure was put in place in order to favour the harvest of grapes at good maturity.
The arrival of phylloxera, occurring a few years after the annexation of Savoie to France in 1860, caused considerable ravages on the vineyard. However, thanks to a vast replanting movement and the discovery of the technique of grafting on American rootstock, the surface area of the Savoyard vineyard remains constant. Numerous facts then mark the history of the vineyard and improve the quality of the production, in particular the modernisation of cultivation techniques and wine-making methods, but also the control of yields. Today, the wine region has more than 2,000 hectares or so of vines, much of which is in the Savoie department. It produces more than 20 crus, broken down intowhite wines (accounting for about 80% of total production), red wines (about 17%), rose wines (about 5%) and sparkling wines (about 3%).