Pouilly's history with vines goes back several centuries - the first traces of vineyards in the commune of Pouilly-sur-Loire date back to Gallo-Roman times. However, it wasn't until the 12th century that the vineyards really took off, thanks to the monastic congregations, mainly the Benedictine order. In fact, in the Middle Ages, the local Benedictines used white wine as a mass wine, as it was less staining. Sauvignon Blanc, the grape variety of choice for Pouilly-Fumé, then began to gain popularity in the region. However, Pouilly wines did not achieve commercial success until the end of the 18th century. The proximity of the Loire made a major contribution to their reputation, thanks to ongoing trade by river. Towards the end of the 19th century, the Pouilly vineyard suffered a decline due to attacks of mildew in 1888, followed by phylloxera in 1890. The use of resistant American rootstocks enabled the Pouilly vineyard to be gradually replanted. After the recognition of Sancerre in 1936, Pouilly-Fumé was recognised, along with Pouilly-sur-Loire, as an Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée in 1937.