HISTORY OF DOMAINE AF GROS
Created in 1988, the Domaine AF Gros was founded by Anne-Françoise Gros after having inherited a part of the vineyard from her father Jean Gros. Anne-Françoise Gros comes from a well established family. The name Gros in fact refers to a mosaic of estates: Domaine Gros Frère et Sœur, Domaine Michel Gros, Domaine Anne Gros and Domaine AF Gros. These come from the original estate of Domaine Louis Gros, father of Jean Gros.
Since the creation of Domaine AF Gros, the wines are vinified by Anne-Françoise's husband François Parent, originally from Pommard. Today the vineyard covers around 10 hectares made up of Anne-Françoise' share of Domaine Jean Gros, land bought or rented in and around Vosne-Romanée as well as her husband' share of Domaine Parent.
Today, two of the three childrens of this winegrower couple are in charge of the estate. Caroline ensures the management, development as well as the marketing of the estate's wines. Her brother Mathias is in charge of the vinification.
PRODUCER OF BURGUNDY FINE WINE
Owning some of the best terroirs in Burgundy, Domaine AF Gros is renowned for its prestigious cuvées, an authentic expression of Pinot Noir. Always in search of excellence, Gros-Parent family produces great wines from Burgundy with elegance and remarkable finesse.
Different grape varieties are planted in the vineyards of Domaine AF Gros, notably Pinot Noir and Gamay. The viticulture is carried out according to traditional techniques, in lutte raisonnée and respecting the principles of sustainable agriculture. In order to optimize the yields and the vigour of the vines, François Parent and his son Mathias give a special attention to the vineyard notably favouring a selective pruning. If necessary, they carry out leaf thinning and green harvest. The wine-growing methods of the estate include also extensive tillage by plowing. On certain parts of the vineyard, they practice the principle of sexual confusion.
After the manual harvest, the grape bunches are brought to the premises of the estate located in Beaune. Following a 100% destemming, the winemaker of the estate proceeds to a cold maceration for 4 or 5 days with pumping over to oxygenate the maximum of must. The wines then undergo malolactic fermentation in barrels.
The wines are aged in French oak barrels between 12 to 18 months. This stage takes 12 months for the Village appellations, the new barrels of which represent 50% on average of the total. The Premiers Crus are aged for 15 months in oak barrels from which 65% are new. Whereas the Grands Crus of the estate are aged for 18 months exclusively in new oak barrels.
THE GRANDS CRUS À LA CARTE
Domaine AF Gros produces Burgundy Grands Crus among its wine range:
- Richebourg Grand Cru: the estate operates around one hectare of this Côte de Nuits vineyard, the Richebourg AOC extending over nearly eight hectares in the heart of Vosne-Romanée. The vines grow on fairly fine and deep brown limestone soils. Made exclusively from Pinot Noir, the Richebourg Grand Cru from Domaine AF Gros reveals aromas of violets, infused fruit and sour cherry. This wine shows roundness, softness and a perfect balance between concentration and finesse.
- Échezeaux Grand Cru: this cuvée comes from a vineyard of around 0.26 hectare, in the "Champs Traversins" section of the appellation. The Pinot Noir vines grow on deep soils made up of gravel and limestone rocks. These are favorable to the aeration of the roots and their deep anchoring. With a rich aromatic bouquet, this wine reveals floral and fresh cherry aromas on the palate.
THE POMMARD PREMIERS CRUS AND OTHER APPELLATIONS
In addition to the Burgundy Grands Crus, Domaine AF Gros produces other appellations like the Pommard Premier Cru, notably:
- Pommard Premier Cru Les Arvelets: This appellation, made up of 100% Pinot Noir, comes from a small plot of around 0.31 hectare.
- Pommard Premier Cru Les Pezerolles: This dense, powerful, racy and characterful wine comes from a terroir located on the border of Beaune.
- Pommard Premier Cru Les Chanlins: this AOC is made from vines from a terroir located on the southern tip of Pommard, near Volnay.
- Pommard Premier Cru Les Épenots: An appellation distinguished by its fine and delicate wines.
Other appellations are produced at the domaine, notably:
- Beaune Premier Cru
- Bourgogne Hautes Côtes de Nuits