For several centuries, men and women from the Philipponnat family have succeeded one another on the land of Aÿ to produce exceptional Champagnes. As early as 1522, Apvril le Philipponnat, owner of vines of lieu-dit called Le Léon, halfway between Aÿ and Dizy, settled in this village. In the 16th century, the family's ancestors were winegrowers, but also merchants and suppliers to Louis XIV, Royal Mayors and magistrates of Aÿ. Since then, the heritage has been passed on from generation to generation.
Charles Philipponnat, representative of the 16th generation, perpetuates the tradition and never stops looking for the best to constantly improve the quality of the wines. To preserve the estate's centuries-old terroirs, Philipponnat works the soil naturally. Weeding is done by hand and ploughing is done by draught horses.